Sunday, May 24, 2015

my tips on staying clean and healthy in this summer heat

Considering how hot it is right now in Mumbai, and in the rest of the northern hemisphere (I'm assuming), I thought I would note down a few tips on how to stay clean and healthy in this summer heat.

Hydrate
The most important thing I can suggest you do in this heat is keep hydrated! Continuously drink water, and remember, most sources say that a minimum of 2L or 8 glasses is required per day.

Moisturize
Remember to apply moisturizer each morning so that your skin doesn't dry out. In this heat, a lighter moisturizer than you would use in the winter is probably best. I use a bit of Kiehl's Creme de Corps, which you can purchase in stores at Phoenix Marketcity or Palladium.

SPF
Whenever you go out, don't forget to use sunscreen, and pay attention to SPF,
don't skimp! I like to use Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer moisturizer with SPF 50 which is available anywhere Neutrogena products are sold.

(Anti fungal) Powder
Use regular powder on exposed parts of your body to help cool down, and use anti fungal powder on areas of your body that collect sweat. Any regular powder is fine, and for anti fungal powder I suggest Clotrimazole (candid), which is available at any local pharmacist.

Deodorant
I use a stick anti-perspirant which actually helps prevent sweat, while the spray "deodorants" sold in India just cover up the smell. The best deodorant I have found is Arm & Hammer's antiperspirant, but if that's not available,  stick deodorants are available at the bigger supermarkets.

Change Your Bedsheets
Make the effort to change your bed sheets every week, and try to change your pillow case every 3-4 days. While I know this will throw off your pillow:bedsheet ratio and probably interfere with your matching sets, it's better to have clean sheets. All the sweat that collects in your bedsheets can carry bacteria, and it's best to keep your pillowcase free of sweat to prevent skin infections and even acne. 

Shoes
If you are wearing close-toed shoes, I suggest you leave them out for one day, or at the least one night, to dry out before wearing them again. Otherwise, I suggest that you stick to open toed shoes to give your feet room to breathe. But be sure to take care of your feet more often! Soak and scrub your feet once a week or so, and keep up with moisturization.

Undergarments
Be sure to wash undergarments after each use during this period, even bras, because the sweat from your body is soaked up by your bra and will collect bacteria. Sports bras, especially wash after each use! You sweat a lot more in those, so keep them clean to prevent body acne.

Mosquitoes
While there is no sure fire way to prevent mosquitoes from biting, I've had luck with a few methods. Odomos cream works for me, but I know it doesn't work for everyone, and I find the smell and greasy texture to be too much to handle. Plus, I have heard unsubstantiated claims that it is a carcinogen. You could also try using Good Knight coils which I find to be extremely effective, but are not good for your respiratory system. Currently I am using a pop-up mosquito net, purchased from the U.S. which I just have to unfold each night and it forms a tent with a zippered opening. It's definitely better than anything I have used before, and if you really wanted to you could put a mattress or lay down a sheet, but I don't bother with that and instead spray it down each morning with an antibacterial spray and wipe down any sweat I might have left behind at night. In this, I can leave my windows and doors open and not have to worry about getting bitten by mosquitoes at night.

Link to the SansBug tent I am using:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003BWF9WI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432445346&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=sansbug&dpPl=1&dpID=41VkNk1sl6L&ref=plSrch

Food/Apetite
The next post I do is going to be about  the foods I eat and my own, unscientific "diet", I'll just mention a few suggestions here. First of all, drink cold water! Don't believe the old wives tales about it being harmful and freezing your food, this is completely untrue. Try eating a bit less than you normally would, as this will help you cool down. Avoid fruit juices as they are full of added sugars, instead eat a piece of fruit. Try drinking coconut water too, I know it was a bit of a craze a couple years ago, but that doesn't mean you should stop drinking it!

Just a few tips on how to stay cool in this heat! If you have any suggestions or requests for posts, please do say so in the comments.

Anagha C.
Note that I was not paid to mention any of the above products, they are simply some of my products that I have tried and tested that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment