Saturday, June 27, 2015

my favorite: breakfast places in Mumbai

This is a continuation of a series, the first part of which is my post on my favorite dessert places, because who doesn't love to start with dessert!

Theobroma
While I know I already mentioned Theobroma in my dessert post, it also deserves a mention in the breakfast category because they have a full service breakfast menu! Plus, the best part is that they open at 7AM. Now I am not necessarily a morning person, nor I am a night owl, it just really depends on my sleep schedule, but having a restaurant open at 7AM is a godsend in Mumbai. Even Starbucks doesn't open that early! The food here is good, and I recommend the eggs Benedict with bacon on the side.

Pricing: $$$$
Seating: yes, there's plenty of seating available at all locations
Location: list of locations here

Suzette's

I mentioned Suzette's as well in my dessert guide, but it operates as more of a restaurant than a bakery. Although they open at 9AM, it's still great for a late breakfast/early brunch. Their crepes are the best you will get in Mumbai, and while they may not be exactly like the ones in Paris, they are still very yummy, if a bit overcooked. I would suggest you go for one of their pre-set crepes, to prevent any disappointment in your own choice! And try to save room for a dessert crepe if you can!

Pricing: $$$
Seating: yes, but it's a bit cozy (read:crowded)
Location: list of locations here

The Bagel Shop

Although I don't recommend you go to The Bagel Shop and eat there, I do recommend that you order some of their bagels to take home and try them out! I like to order about a bakers dozen and take them home to eat one each morning or as a snack with butter on it since good cream cheese can be hard to find in Mumbai. Definitely worth it, and the bagels are HUGE!

Pricing: $$
Seating: yes, there is plenty of seating available
Location: location here

Starbucks

While I usually stick to my rule of not eating food at coffee shops (shouldn't this be a rule for everyone?), I make an exception for Starbucks. The salmon and cheese croissant is so yummy that in order it every time I come here and at Rs180 it is quite inexpensive. Make sure you tell them to heat it up for you though so that the cheddar cheese melts too! If you would rather a veg option, then go for their pita and hummus which is a classic.

Pricing: $
Seating: yes, there is plenty of seating available but it is often crowded
Location: list of locations here

Kala Ghoda Cafe
Even though the Kala Ghoda Cafe is located in a bylane of Kala Ghoda, I think just about everyone knows where this is. Right next to Mamagoto's, the Kala Ghoda Cafe is your typical hipster cafe. Dripping in pretentiousness, you might feel a little uncomfortable at first, but once you get past that you can focus on the yummy food! I recommend the carrot cake which is way more authentic than the ones you get at grocery stores in the U.S.

Pricing: $$$
Seating: yes, but there are very few seats so you might just have to get your food to go
Location: location here

I know there are only five restaurants on my list here, but to be honest, not a lot of places open early enough to get in breakfast before work here in Mumbai. But, I will do another installment of this series with a few brunch restaurants to try out, so you can look forward to that! As always, please post suggestions and comments and follow me on Instagram @ribbonsndbows (just send a request and I will accept!).

Anagha C.

No comments:

Post a Comment