Friday, June 28, 2013

how to wear: a tie as inspired by Princess Diana

Image via Stylite

For those of you who are unaware, about a week ago, the exact tie pictured above went up for auction, and amidst the excitement regarding the new movie about Princess Diana's life, the tie was expected to fetch $4700. After reading an article about the auction, I was immediately struck by how contemporary the tie itself was and how I would easily be willing to wear this item even now, almost 20 years later! So, below I've provided a few options regarding ties that won't make you look like a little girl in boy's clothes! :)

J. Crew Chambray Floral Tie
I love how this tie looks formal, yet relaxed all at once. I think it would be so easy to pair this tie over a basic white button-down along with a pair of light denims with the cuffs rolled up twice along with a navy blazer thrown on top. Perhaps a pair of black flats would complete the look since you want the tie to be the focal point.

J. Crew Silk Cambridge Tie in Large Dot
This tie I would want to wear with a white button-down, a pair of black tailored suit shorts, and black oxfords or black loafers. Here, the star of the show is the gorgeous spotted tie so I think pairing it with the stark black and white highlights just that.

J. Crew Silk Tie in Small Embroidered Weight Lifters
I picked this tie, simply because I think it's so funny! This tie I would pair with a baby pink shirt and black trousers with perhaps a pair of simple black pumps (a la Kate Middleton). Even though the outfit it simple, I like the idea of juxtaposing the baby pink with the weightlifters.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to wear a tie but doesn't know how!

XOXO
Anagha

No comments:

Post a Comment